Monday is back to school time for the more than 175,000 students and 12,000 teachers in Palm Beach County. So here a few reminders for safety and hints to make the day less stressful.
- It’s still dark out in the morning. Students that live less than a mile and a half from their school may be walking or riding a bicycle. Students who live more than two miles may be walking to or waiting at a bus stop. Please be extra cautious when driving from your neighborhood.
- There’s going to be additional early traffic, so adjust your morning commute accordingly. Buses will be stopping. Parents will be transporting students on their way to work. The traffic patterns and volume will be different and it may take some time to adjust to. So give yourself some extra time so that you aren’t stressed.
- Stop. When a school bus is stopped loading or unloading students, you’re required to stop in both directions until the students are safely across the street. For the student’s safety, please observe this law. It will only cost you a few more seconds to be safe.
- Speed limit. If you’re in a school zone or a neighborhood, it’s more important now to observe the posted speed limits. If you’re commute takes you through a school zone, please give yourself extra time.
- Focus. It’s always a bad idea to engage in any behavior which distracts you while driving. So no texting, eating, or putting on makeup. We take driving for granted too often, but it only takes a second of distraction for something bad to happen.
We know you are aware of all these things. It’s just a friendly reminder from us at Espresso Mail. We want the new school year to be fun and full of promise and learning. Don’t forget to go to our Facebook page tomorrow and post a back to school picture. https://www.facebook.com/espressomail/posts/1482407375192118