It’s almost summer and it’s south Florida, so it’s already hot and humid. Everyone already knows the do’s for summer: Stay hydrated (keep your animals hydrated too), wear sunscreen (don’t skimp – the bronze tan won’t be worth it when your skin looks like leather, have your home and auto air conditioners checked and serviced so that they don’t fail when the temps reach triple digits, and make sure your ceiling fans are turning counter clockwise because heat rises.
But here are a few other suggestions or hacks that may also help you beat the summer blues.
- Freeze a sponge. Soak a fresh sponge in water, toss it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. When you’re overheated, apply it to your forehead and wrists and it will cool you in minutes and you won’t get soaked.
- Make an icetray of aloe vera gel with water cubes. Inevitably, at least once this summer, you’re going to get sunburned and this is a great solution to relieving that pain.
- Switch off gadgets and unplug non-essential electronic devices. They generate a lot of heat and this will help you keep your house cooler. Plus you can also save on your electric bill.
- Cook your meals on a grill or in a crockpot. Of course, summer was meant for barbecuing, but this will also help keep your house cooler than running your oven or stovetop.
- Toss your sheets and pillowcases into the freezer for 30 minutes before going to bed.
And of course, stay cool with iced coffee and cold treats. We’re pretty sure our cold brewed iced coffee will cool you fast. What’s your best way of staying cool?